The secret of fish oil benefits lies in the properties of omega 3, one of the most important bioregulation components of the human body. Omega-3 supplementation is essential for health and performance throughout life. These nutrients are most often associated with heart health, but they actually do far more than that.
1. INCREASE PROTEIN SYNTHESIS Long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (LCn-3PUFAs) are abundantly found in fish oil, and are both highly lipolytic (i.e. they burn fat) as well as highly anabolic (i.e. they build muscle). One of the more interesting facts about fish oil is that it doesn’t hinder the body’s response to insulin, even though other forms of fat can clearly blunt the insulinogenic response from carbohydrates…and it not only fails to blunt the body’s anabolic response to insulin, but it actually seems to augment the anabolic response to the hormone.
2. ENHANCE IMMUNE FUNCTION Fish oil rich in DHA and EPA is widely believed to help prevent disease by reducing inflammation, but until now, scientists were not entirely sure about its immune enhancing effects. A new report appearing in the April 2013 issue of the Journal of Leukocyte Biology, helps provide clarity on this by showing that DHA-rich fish oil enhances B cell activity, a white blood cell, challenging the notion that fish oil is only immunosuppressive. This discovery is important as it shows that fish oil does not necessarily reduce the overall immune response to lower inflammation, possibly opening the doors for the use of fish oil among those with compromised immune systems.
3. IMPROVE INSULIN SENSITIVITY The long-chain fatty acids found in fish oil moderately increased levels of the hormone adiponectin, which could have protective effects on insulin sensitivity. In a meta-analysis, taking fish oil supplements significantly increased circulating adiponectin levels by 0.37 mcg/mL (P=0.02), Jason Wu, PhD, of Harvard, and colleagues reported online in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.
4. REDUCE INFLAMMATION Omega-3s are most well-known for their heart health benefits. Their heart health benefits are most related to the effect of omega-3s on inflammation. When quality fish oil is taken at efficacious dosages, they have a significant effect on the body’s inflammatory response. The habit of taking fish oil every day has a positive effect on more than 1000 genes that regulation inflammation.
5. IMPROVE BRAIN HEALTH DHA seems to play an important role in brain health throughout life. DHA is passed from the mother to her unborn baby, and is important for the developing brain. Many studies have shown large differences in later development when comparing babies born from mothers who supplemented with fish oil and those who did not. For example, at 2.5 years after birth, toddlers of mothers who supplemented with fish oil had significantly improved hand and eye coordination compared to toddlers of mothers who did not supplement. The effect of DHA on brain health seems to continue throughout life. Some research points at DHA consumption being important at warding off Alzheimer’s disease and other cognitive diseases.